Wednesday, May 9, 2012

My Voice

I have been thinking lately how grateful I am for my voice. Seriously, of all the things I treasure in this world, my voice is toward the top of the list.

I love to sing. I always have. My mom could tell you that there was usually a song being sung in the house, and 95 percent of the time it was coming from yours truly. In sixth grade I joined choir and stuck with it all through high school. In college I had to remind myself not to sing while I was walking to class (because only that weird kid who wears a cape around campus does that) or hum while my roommate was trying to sleep (I try not to annoy my roommates). I think singing is my default mode.

I have a pretty long commute these days. I'm in the car 50 minutes every day, and I honestly don't mind it that much for one reason: I get to blast my favorite songs and sing along.

The cool thing about singing is you don't need any musical instrument. Everyone can sing, and a voice doesn't cost anything. How amazing is it that you can make beautiful music with your own bodyno purchase necessary?

Years ago I read (I think on one of those old-school facebook flair things) "Music is what feelings sound like." I agree completely. So often I have feelings that I am itching to express. At times I feel I am going to burst! But music and singing is my outlet; it calms and soothes me. I absolutely adore it.

What would I do if I couldn't sing? What would I do without music? What would I do without my voice?

I don't even want to think about it.

(Now if only I could sing in front of other people....)

1 comment: